Programme of Unitary Patent Package Kick Off Conference
At the moment we are preparing the UPP Kick Off Conference where you will hear :
- The views from the most important appointed judges of the UPC and the Court of Justice.
- A report on the selection of judges and their training program, proposed selection of panels for local and regional divisions from Kevin Mooney
- The latest news of Alexander Ramsey on the organization of the UPC including operation of the registries, locations, upcoming ratifications.
- From Margot Fröhlinger the report on delay of grant before the EPO; result of national prior rights for the validity of the unitary patent and
- How the United Kingdom will be part of the UPC system.
Day 2 | Get ready for UPP Bootcamp
Goal of the bootcamp
How far is your company in deciding what to do with your patents in Europe?
- Will you opt-out or opt-in? Or a combination?
- And if you have decided, do you know exactly how to register to opt-in or opt-out and what is the time schedule?
- Do you know how to handle if you are sued for the UPC?
- How do you select the forum that is best for your case?
- Could you be sued in a language you don’t understand?
Therefore we have developed the Get ready for UPP Bootcamp. You will receive a checklist of all you have to do before the introduction and the procedures, divisions, costs and litigation as soon as the UPC starts. The interesting programme is developed by Bird & Bird, NLO, Van Doorne and V.O. Patents & Trademarks.
Programme UPP Bootcamp
9.oo hrs | Registration and morning coffee
9.30 hrs | Opening, welcome and short introduction by the Chairman: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird
9.35 hrs | Part 1: Checklist & Time line (How)
- What needs to be done before the start of UP and UPC?
- How to opt-in or opt-out? When does the Sunrise register starts and when will it close?
- What are the consequences if you opt-out? Can you opt-in on a later moment?
Opt-in or opt-out, that’s the question?!
- Basic knowledge difference between Unitary Patents and European Patents
- Advantages and possible disadvantages of an Unitay Patent
- Advantages and possible disadvantages of an opt-out
Bas Pinckaers, Head of Patent Department, Van Doorne
11.05 hrs | Coffee and tea break
11.30 hrs | Part 2: Strategies for proceeding at the UPC
How to prepare your portfolio and your strategy for the new opportunities and challenges?
- Combining litigation at the UPC and national courts
- The divisions of the Court, their locations, languages and ‘couleur locale’
- Coordination, bifurcation, stays and speed of proceedings
- How to plan your litigation and deal with the judge-rapporteur
Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird
13.00 hrs | Lunch
14.00 hrs | Part 3 : Costs of obtaining and maintaining patents under the Unitary Patent system, comparison to the United States
- What will be the cost of an Unitary Patent in comparison to a classical European patent?
- Compare costs for validation including translation costs, publication fees, and attorney fees?
- National validations of EP versus costs obtaining UP
- Renewal fees, including related transactional costs of EP and UP
- Comparison between costs for UP and US patent
Hans Hutter, Partner and Dutch and European Patent Attorney, NLO
15.30 hrs | Coffee and tea break
16.00 hrs | Checklist of what to be done asap
- Case management system (get to know the system, registration as ‘representative’ for the CMS)
- Registration as representative before the UPC
- Check on license agreements
- Postpone grants of your European patent applications
- Patent portfolio management (which cases to opt out, when to file for unitary effect?)
- Is your docketing system up to speed? How about your administrative employees?
- Overseas territories (Isle of Man, Dutch Caribbean islands, French Caribbean islands, Greenland?)
Bart van Wezenbeek, Senior Associate and Dutch and European patent attorney, V.O. Patent & Trademarks
17.30 hrs | Closing words by Chairman & drinks