Programme of Unitary Patent Package Conference
9.00 hrs | Registration and morning coffee
9.30 hrs | Opening, welcome and short introduction by the Chairman: Richard Vary, Partner Bird & Bird
9.35 hrs | The Unitary Patent and the UPC: the last steps
- What will be the expected introduction date?
- Organisation of the UPC including operation ofthe registries, locations, upcoming ratifications
- Courts: latest developments of the UPC: Local and regional divisions, fees, Patent Litigation Certificate, Sunrise register etc.
- Judges: Appointed judges and coordination
- Unitary Patent: latest developments on the practical issues
Alexander Ramsay, Chairman of the Preparatory Committee for the Unified Patent Court
10.10 hrs | Unitary Patents and European Patents: substantive law issues
- The principle of unitary effect
- Differences between UP’s and EP’s
- Advantages and possible disadvantages of a Unitary Patent
- Advantages and possible disadvantages of an opt-out
Bas Pinckaers, Head Patent Department, Van Doorne
10.45 hrs | Vision of the Judges
- Dr. Klaus Grabinsky, Judge of Federal Court of Justice of Karlsruhe, Germany
- Marie Courboulay, Vice-President, 3rd Chamber, Paris Court of Appeal, France
- Sam Granata, Judge, Court of Appeal of Antwerp, Belgium
11.15 hrs | Coffee and tea break
11.45 hrs | Economic views: The importance of UPC and Unitary Patent
- Back to basics: views about the economic interests of the Unitary patent and the court for European industry
- “All that for this…” Do we really need a Unitary Patent and a Unitary court?
Thierry Sueur, Vice President European and International Affairs , Air Liquide
12.20 hrs | The vision of the in-house patents
- Francesco Macchetta, Director Intellectual Property, Bracco Group, Italy
- Dr. Werner Fröhling, Managing Director and Chief IP Counsel Flooring Technologies LTD, Malta
- Thierry Sueur, Vice President, European and International Affairs, Air Liquide
- Fredrik Egrelius, Director, Patent Unit United Kingdom IPR & Licensing, Ericsson Limited
12.55 hrs | Lunch
13.55 hrs | The final version of the Rules of Procedure and the training of Judges
- The selection of the judges and their training program
- The consequences of a hard or soft Brexit
- Proposed selection of panels for local and regional divisions
Kevin Mooney, Chairman of the Drafting Committee for the Rules of Procedure for the UPC and Partner at Simmons & Simmons LLP
14.30 hrs | How to request a Unitary Patent?
- Presentation of the on-line procedure
- Practical information for users including the UP – user guide
Margot Fröhlinger, Principal Director Unitary Patent, European and International Legal Affairs, European Patent Office
15.05 hrs | Round table discussions round 1
[text_box title=” All round table discussions” title_background_color=”#56797f” title_text_color=”#ffffff” content_background_color=”#56797f” content_text_color=”#000000″]
[accordion title=”1. The last important changes of the Rules of Procedures and the training of Judges” closed=”1″]
- Final version Rules Of Procedure
- The training of both Legally Qualified and technically Qualified Judges of Court
- Getting to grips with the CMS
Table Chair: Kevin Mooney, Chairman of the Drafting Committee for the Rules of Procedure for the UPC and Partner Simmons & Simmons LLP
[accordion title=”2. Costs of obtaining and maintaining patents in the EP, the future UP and the USA system for different use cases:” closed=”1″]
- Influence of number of EP countries to be validated
- Influence of Brexit
- Influence of number of years maintaining the patent
Table Chair: Hans Hutter, Partner and Dutch and European Patent Attorney, NLO
[accordion title=”3. Forum shopping between the UPC and the national courts and between various local and regional divisions, language regime and experience” closed=”1″]
- The jurisdiction of the UPC and the national courts
- Rules for lis pendens under the Brussels I Regulation
- Where will the UPC Divisions be, what will they look like, who will be the judges and which languages will be available?
- Could you be sued in a language that you don’t understand?
- Do you want cross-examination of experts?
- How do you select the forum that is the best for your case?
Table Chair: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird
[accordion title=”4. Patent Strategy: How and where to file and litigate?” closed=”1″]
- Opt-out: choice per patent or per portfolio
- Litigation tactics: spread or concentrate?
Bart van Wezenbeek, Patent Attorney and Senior Associate, V.O. Patents & Trademarkts
15.50 hrs | Coffee and tea break
16.10 hrs | Round table discussions round 2
16.55 hrs | Summary of results of Round Table discussions
17.15 hrs | Closing words by the Chairman & Drinks