15th of July 2022Download full program
09.00 hrs | Opening, welcome and short introduction by the Chairman: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird
09.15 hrs | Patent Strategy Workshop
The Unitary Patent will have deep impact on your patent strategy, learn in this workshop what is the best patent strategy for your (clients) organization.
- Filing strategies: issues to consider
- When should I opt-out, when opt-in? And how do I have to register my opt-out EP’s in a Sunrise register?
- Portfolio management
- Basics of Litigation strategies in the new system
Workshop leader: Paul Clarkson, Partner and Dutch and European Patent Attorney, NLO
11.15 hrs | Coffee and tea break
11.45 hrs | Costs & Litigation Workshop
What will be the cost of a Unitary Patent in comparison with the classical European Patent?
- Case management system (get to know the system, registration as ‘representative’ for the CMS)
- Registration as representative before the UPC (for opt-out and for litigation)
- Check on license agreements
- Postpone grants of your European patent applications
- Patent portfolio management (which cases to opt out, when to file for unitary effect?)
- Is your docketing system up to speed? How about your administrative employees?
- Overseas territories (Isle of Man, Dutch Caribbean islands, French Caribbean islands, Greenland?)
Bart van Wezenbeek, Senior associate and Dutch and European patent attorney, V.O.
13.00 hrs | Lunch
13.45 hrs | Courts procedure & trial Workshop
The jurisdiction of the UPC and the national courts
- Exercises on fictive infringement cases for strategy discussions
- Excercise on the court procedure (written, intermediate and oral proceedings)
- How to use the online case management system
- How to prepare for online litigation
Workshop leader: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird