15th of July 2022Download full program
09.00 hrs | Opening, welcome and short introduction by the Chairman: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird
09.15 hrs | Patent Strategy Workshop
The Unitary Patent will have deep impact on your patent strategy, learn in this workshop what is the best patent strategy for your (clients) organization.
- Filing strategies: issues to consider
- When should I opt-out, when opt-in? And how do I have to register my opt-out EP’s in a Sunrise register?
- Portfolio management
- Basics of Litigation strategies in the new system
Workshop leader: Paul Clarkson, Partner and Dutch and European Patent Attorney, NLO
11.15 hrs | Coffee and tea break
11.45 hrs | Costs & Litigation Workshop
What will be the cost of a Unitary Patent in comparison with the classical European Patent?
- Compare costs for validation including translation costs, publication fees and attorney fees for national validations of EP versus costs obtaining UP (only one translation fee during transitional period);
- Renewal fees, including related transactional costs of EP and UP;
- Working on comparing costs between obtaining classical European patent protection and a Unitary Patent + classical European protection in Spain, Poland and Switzerland.
Bernard Ledeboer, European and Dutch Patent Attorney, Partner V.O. Patents & Trademarks
Thierry Sueur, former Vice President, European and International Affairs, Air Liquide.
13.00 hrs | Lunch
13.45 hrs | Courts procedure & trial Workshop
The jurisdiction of the UPC and the national courts
- Exercises on fictive infringement cases for strategy discussions
- Excercise on the court procedure (written, intermediate and oral proceedings)
- How to use the online case management system
- How to prepare for online litigation
Workshop leader: Wouter Pors, Partner, Bird & Bird